Finally finished part 2 of my Pentaflake Tabletop build video. I’m looking for work, so if you’re interested in me making something like this for you, contact me via the email address in the sidebar.
I’m still working on the video, but I wanted to get something up on HipNerd.com about finishing this project, since I already posted to social media about it.
I had more trouble with the Maslow, but finally got a good cut.
The bit was dull from the tests I ran previously, so I changed bits halfway through, then re-ran the program to clean up the hairy stuff from the dull bit. Finally, something worked in my favor, and it cleaned up well.
I sanded the insides of the cutouts by cutting up a sanding sponge, folding it over and zip-tying it to a dowel, then putting the dowel in my drill.
I cut the tabletop into a circle using a router on a jig.
I painted a coat of clear epoxy resin into the cutouts to seal, then poured the the colored epoxy using condiment dispensers.
I sanded off the excess epoxy with 80 grit sandpaper, working in sections.
I sanded everything smooth, working my way to a final 400 grit hand sanding. I put some edge banding on to hide the plywood edge. Then, I put on three coats of varnish.
I’m really happy with the way this came out, and looking forward to some more projects with my Maslow.
This video documents making a tabletop with a pentaflake pattern. Unfortunately, I spend most of my time troubleshooting my Maslow CNC.