Pentaflake Tabletop

Sanded and Varnished

I’m still working on the video, but I wanted to get something up on HipNerd.com about finishing this project, since I already posted to social media about it.

I had more trouble with the Maslow, but finally got a good cut.

Pentaflake pattern being cut into plywood by Maslow CNC.

Pentaflake pattern being cut into plywood by Maslow CNC.

The bit was dull from the tests I ran previously, so I changed bits halfway through, then re-ran the program to clean up the hairy stuff from the dull bit. Finally, something worked in my favor, and it cleaned up well.

Before and after changing bits.

Before and after changing bits.

I sanded the insides of the cutouts by cutting up a sanding sponge, folding it over and zip-tying it to a dowel, then putting the dowel in my drill.

I cut the tabletop into a circle using a router on a jig.

Cutting the circle using a router on a jig.

Cutting the circle using a router on a jig.

I painted a coat of clear epoxy resin into the cutouts to seal, then poured the the colored epoxy using condiment dispensers.

Tabletop with Seal Coat and Colored Epoxy

Tabletop with Seal Coat and Colored Epoxy

I sanded off the excess epoxy with 80 grit sandpaper, working in sections.

Sanding in progress

Sanding in progress

I sanded everything smooth, working my way to a final 400 grit hand sanding. I put some edge banding on to hide the plywood edge. Then, I put on three coats of varnish.

Sanded and Varnished

Sanded and Varnished

I’m really happy with the way this came out, and looking forward to some more projects with my Maslow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.